Wednesday 20 January 2010

My 11 albums of the last decade reposted here

After some light prompting by Andy, I've decided to create a list of the albums that have had an impact on my life in the last 10 years.

First some light history: On January 1st 2000, I was 12. My musical knowledge on the advent of the decade was negligible at best, I cared little about the charts and what was popular or what wasn't. I certainly didn't have a specific musical taste to call my own, instead I began borrowing heavily from my brother's steadily growing collection of albums, so my first real exposure to music I liked came from bands like Korn and the Defftones.

Here I present the albums that I have loved and the reasons for which I have loved them. I'll also provide some honourable mentions who could've made it to this list; the first draft contained 17 albums!!!

I'm going to try to do this in no particular order....Here goes!

10) Bleed American - Jimmy Eat World (2001)

I consider J.E.W. to be one of my favourite EVER bands and this album is the reason why. If you don't recognise the title, it'll be because they renamed it following September the 11th not to be controversial. They also renamed the title track to 'Salt Sweat Sugar'. That and 'The Middle' became the two main singles from the album but, for me, its the more overlooked tracks like 'Sweetness', 'Goodbye Sky Harbor' and 'If You Don't Don't' that make this record. Songs with catchy hooks blend seamlessly into soft melodic bubbles of happiness.

9) Anthem - Less Than Jake (2002) *

I'm a sucker for this kind of ska. Its upbeat with a lot of skank. The only difference here is that its been fused with a touch of melancholy. In the perfect world of trombones and saxomophones, something seems amiss in the lyrics. 'The Science of Selling Yourself Short' is athe perfect example.

8) Aha Shake Heartbreak - Kings of Leon (2004)

This came worryingly close to being an album of true excellence (*) but not quite. Nevertheless, this brought my attention to the band that would release one of the best known tracks of 2009. 'Four Kicks', 'The Bucket' and 'King of the Rodeo' do it for me every time. Their sound has changed quite a lot in 5 years, and if I'm completely honest, I prefer them way back when...

7) The War on Errorism - NOFX (2003)

This album is intrinsically linked in my head to Tony Hawks Underground. I first heard Separation of Church and Skate on the game and following my acquisition of said album, I'd play the game on mute and listen to 'Anarchy Camp' and 'We Got Two Jealous Agains', which tells the story of a guy going through a girls record collection to see if they'd be compatible (or i think it is anyway)

6) In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 - Coheed and Cambria (2003)

There's a certain person I know who once made me a mix CD which featured 'A Favor House Atlantic' - I was sold then (though I took some convincing I was listening to a dude) and I still love the album. 'The Light and the Glass' is beautiful and the end of 'The Crowing' is too.

We're halfway through now and this is NOT as easy as I didn't think it would be.

5) The Black Parade - My Chemical Romance (2006)

This may polarise opinion but when this came out, I listened to it non-stop. I listened at every given opportunity and it annoyed the hell out of long-suffering housemates. I think it's an incredible piece of work. Following their previous album, Three Cheers... wasn't gonna be easy but they hit the mainstream flying. With a new album rumoured soon, following TBP will be their biggest challenge to date.

4) Good Mourning - Alkaline Trio (2003)

A toss up between this and 'From Here To Infirmary', I think GM just edges it. Released in the same year as 'Sing The Sorrow' by AFI so its fair to say the genre I like to refer to as 'Dark' was getting my attention in a big way. Despite lyrics that some may consider disturbing or distasteful, I think AK3 carry it very well and will continue to do so.

3) From Under The Cork Tree - Fall Out Boy (2005) *

"AAAAAAGH I was enjoying the list but then he became so scene"

I knew when I first heard this album that this was only the beginning for FOB and I'm rarely right about these things so imagine my joy as I'm continually proven right. 'Sugar We're Going Down' and 'Dance Dance' are obvious choices but 'Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner' and 'Of All the Gin Joints...' are particular favourites.

2) Hot Fuss - The Killers (2004) *

Undeniable in its class. Brandon Flowers no longer sings about how Jenny was a friend of his, or that somebody told him something or other. Nowadays he's telling the story of the summer I started driving, the sunny days (rare as they were) that I drove around Neath and spent some of the best days of my life just doing nothing. Chilling with my friends and playing handball. Its what music is about for me, ok?

1) Puzzle - Biffy Clyro (2007) *

The whole reason this list was created was because other peoples lists had omitted this gem from their collections. The more I questioned why and the more I pondered my own list, the more I've come to realise that this IS my album of the decade.

'Folding Stars', a homage to Simon Neil's late mother is heart rending as he wrenches 'Eleanor' from his lungs. 'Who's Got a Match' is ridiculous but I love it and 'Living is a Problem...' to this day is unpredictable.

Truly a worthy #1

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

Catalyst - New Found Glory (2004)
A Fever You Can't Sweat Out - Panic! At The Disco (2005)
By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2002) *
Cheer Up - Reel Big Fish (2002) *
Tell All Your Friends (2002)/Louder Now (2006) - Taking Back Sunday **
Sing The Sorrow - AFI (2003)


NB. I consider an album truly excellent when I like every single song. When each song connects with me and strikes a chord somewhere within. I have highlighted with an * the albums that can consider themselves thus privileged.

NB. There are albums which I have branded truly excellent which have not made the official list. If this puzzles you, make your own list. Sometimes one album can mean so much more to you than another...

Thank you



Post Script: I awoke the following morning in a cold sweat. "How could I have forgotten?" I asked myself.

11) The Green Album - Weezer (2001) *

This is Weezers best ever work by far. A soulful and beautiful record featuring some of their best and most underrated songs. 'Island in The Sun', 'Photograph' and 'O Girlfriend' make up just some of such blinders. Any and all MUST get this album!

1 comment:

  1. Island in the sun.. I forgot about that, I'm going to download it now! Nice song that one.. nice blog grav

    ReplyDelete